Spring is a time for new growth; awakening from the cold, dark winter and looking forward to warmer, brighter seasons to come. It is a time when the body begins to shift from a state of building, to one of gentle cleansing, nourished by valuable foods to help aid and compliment this natural process. Supporting the body as we move towards a more active summer season is important to staying healthy and strong.
I know this is a challenging time for everyone and changes have been imposed upon us, but we will get through this together. Remember that Spring is the time for new growth, but we can't move forwards until we let go of things that are keeping us stuck in place. Nourish your body, mind and spirit (eat, move, laugh and love).
From a traditional Chinese medicine perspective, spring is associated with the energy of the liver organ…responsible for helping to continue the flow of nutrients and more throughout our body (kind of like a fan). Nutrients (such as vitamins and minerals), blood, fluids and vital qi are especially important to keep our tendons and ligaments strong and our body moving easily, free from pain or tightness. It also supports our eyesight so we can see well and our organs so they can work efficiently. When the energy of the liver gets stuck it can make us feel tired, irritable, stiff/pain, give us a headache or contribute to digestive issues. So paying special attention at this time of year can help to get things moving freely, improving our overall quality of life.
From a western medicine viewpoint, the liver is responsible for the filtering and breaking down of toxic waste created from our food, medication, hormones, pollution etc. It also aids in the break down of vital macronutrients (fat, proteins and carbohydrates) needed for energy, growth, our immunity and cell functions.
Eating well, exercising regularly, living a clean and healthy lifestyle and reducing our exposure to excess stress is super important to our growth and vitality as our environment shifts and changes around us. Do you need some help boosting your immune system during this spring season? We can work together to help you feel great!
Exercises to move your liver energy!
What foods can help support us during the spring season and why?
- Fresh water, sustainable fish (wild salmon, sardines, herring, cod, mackerel, oysters) offer Omega 3 FA which supports cardiovascular, mental and endocrine health.
- Small amount of organic nuts, seeds, grains (soaked overnight) also provide a variety of omega fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals, protein and amino acids needed for bones, skin, cells, muscles etc.
- The skins of organic citrus fruit provide vitamins and minerals as well as phytonutrients that may has been shown to reduce inflammation.
- Leafy green vegetables provide calcium and magnesium needed for strong bone and muscle health.
- Bitter greens (such as spinach and dandelion leaf) have been shown to help the liver increase its bile flow and flush out toxins.
- The Liver uses green vegetables to help support its job of natural detoxification!
How else can you support your liver energy during the spring season!
About this author
Cindy is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, certified Pilates instructor and a registered Acupuncturist. She believes that good whole food shouldn’t be complicated and should be shared with family and friends. The body also benefits from movement everyday and when possible getting bodywork to help keep everything balanced. For more help contact Cindy!